As China’s economy continues to grow and incomes of the middle-class continue to rise, more Chinese people are travelling abroad, including women. Who are these new affluent Chinese female travellers? Here are ten facts about them.
- 1. According to data compiled in 2019 by Ctrip—China’s most popular provider of travel services—Chinese women travel more, and spend about 14% more than their male counterparts during their trips.
- 2. Chinese women travel with family, with groups of ten people or less, with women-only groups or alone. According to Ctrip’s 2018 bookings, 57% of their solo travellers were women.
- 3. Younger Chinese women, born in the 1990s and early 2000s, are part of the rising group of Free Independent Travellers (FITs) who are driving the world travel growth.
- 4. Chinese female travellers show stronger interest in travelling overseas without using a travel agent, taking ownership of their itineraries.
- 5. They follow female Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs) and influencers on social media, and base their travel decisions on their opinion and recommendations.
- 6. When booking luxury trips with their spouse, they are the main decision makers for travel planning, destinations and spending.
- 7. Chinese female travellers focus on experiences, and are willing to pay more for quality and uniqueness.
- 8. When booking girlfriend getaways, they still prefer accommodations located near shopping centres for retail shopping and food.
- 9. They stay connected throughout their trip and expect to pay for everything with their phones, using mobile payment apps like Alipay and WeChat Pay (Nielsen, 2018).
- 10. Chinese female travellers love coupons, discounts, mini programs and other social media marketing initiatives targeted at women during holidays and shopping festivals.
Chinese female travellers are financially empowered decision-makers, and key customers for merchants looking to get ahead in the Chinese consumer market. As the authorized partner of Alipay, WeChat Pay and UnionPay QR code in Canada, we can help you leverage the targeted social media advertising and marketing solutions offered by these mobile payments platforms, to identify, understand and reach out to Chinese female travellers.
Let us help you attract more female Chinese visitors to your business. Give us a call at (+1) 800-688-9838 or contact us at email@example.com.