Digital technology is everywhere. We use smartphones and other mobile devices daily for every aspect of our lives from working remotely to buying and selling online. Digital tech is constantly evolving, providing convenience, and making us feel more connected. Countries around the world have embraced the digital lifestyle and Canada is no exception. Find out how our country is faring with regards to usage and trends.
Digital 2020: Canada, the annual report on mobile social media, e-Commerce, and other digital trends in Canada published by the global creative agency We Are Social, collected the following statistics from January 2019 to January 2020:
- 35.32 million Canadians (94% of the total population) used the internet.
- 29.25 million (83% of the total population) used mobile internet.
- There were 36.23 million mobile phone connections in Canada, a growth of 5.2% (1.8 million) from January 2019 to January 2020.
- 25 million Canadians were active social media users, with 96% accessing via mobile device.
- 85% of active social media users used mobile apps for social networking, 68% for entertainment/video, and 56% for online shopping.
- 80% of Canadians made online purchases and/or paid bills online, and 41% used mobile devices to transfer money to friends and family.
88% of internet users visited an online retail store (using any device), 45% used a laptop or desktop computer to make a purchase, and 33% made a purchase via mobile device.
- The total value of the Canadian e-Commerce market was $45 billion, an annual growth of 15% compared to 2019.
- 74% of e-Commerce transactions were completed using a credit card, 12% using an e-wallet app, and 3% with cash.
Recent studies by Statista also show that the digital payment market in Canada is expanding, and that mobile POS payments via e-wallet apps on smartphones are becoming increasingly popular.
Social media, e-Commerce, mobile payments, and live streaming are examples of digital tech already embedded in Canadians’ daily lives. And although Canada might not have as many active mobile users as other countries in South East Asia or Europe, the opportunities for growth and innovation are there, especially when the economic context requires it.
If you want your business to become more digital to connect with new customers and thrive, mobile payments and e-Commerce are the next step and OTT Pay is the right partner for you.
As a leading payment provider in Canada, OTT Pay has helped thousands of merchants establish their online presence and increase their revenue through mobile payments, e-Commerce solutions, and we can help your business too. Ready to join the digital revolution? Contact our Customer Support team today to get started at firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 1-800-688-9838.